Support a Refugee
There are many avenues to support refugee families on a regular basis, through both material and time. Spending time and building a relationship with a family, as well as making sure they have the right resources to thrive, can provide a lasting impact.
If you would like to donate your time, there are a variety of activities and programs available. Please keep in mind that these programs require a one year minimum commitment.
- Buddy English Program: Help provide English lessons to a refugee student.
- Family Friend: Meet and check up on the family once a week and ask how you can help support them as they are learning how to navigate a new community!
- Homework Helper: Every Wednesday evening from 6-8 PM, college students help tutor refugee children at City of Refuge. For those who cannot attend during this time, individual tutoring is possible at a refugee’s home.
- Preschool Teacher/Helper: Every Monday, students attend a preschool class to learn English through arts and crafts, songs, books, and games. For those who cannot attend this class, there are other opportunities where volunteers can read to refugee children at City of Refuge or in a refugee’s home.
- Transportation: Refugees often need help getting around Columbia. One of the biggest needs is transportation to and from English class. This class, held by Columbia Area Career Center, is four days a week. Providing transportation could help set a student up for success.
Ready to make a difference? Simply fill out our volunteer application!
Gifts In Kind
As a supporter of City of Refuge, your donations are extremely beneficial and appreciated. If you have items that you no longer need, those items could benefit a refugee family. Below is a list of items that could greatly benefit the men, women, and children our organization serves.
Items We Need
- New or gently used clothing for men and women
- New or gently used shoes of all sizes for men and women
- Socks and undergarments: these items must be new
- Winter clothing such as hats, gloves, coats and more
- Toiletries such as soap, shampoo, baby wipes, diapers (all sizes), toothpaste, toothbrushes, toilet paper and bath towels
- Household essentials such as soap, laundry detergent, sponges, paper towels, napkins and more
- Bikes and helmets for adults and children
- Furniture such as appliances, sofas, dressers and more
- Bed sets, mattresses, frames, box springs, comforters, sheets and pillows
- Gift cards
- School supplies
In addition to these items listed above, we also make it easy for your everyday purchases to benefit City of Refuge. When shopping online at Amazon, please consider using our AmazonSmiles account. When you connect your Amazon account with City of Refuge, Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to our organization.
Thank you for supporting City of Refuge!