City of Refuge is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization created to help and serve refugees and immigrants in Mid-Missouri. Our vision is to help refugees and immigrants become productive, successful, contributing members of our community.
Mid-Missouri has more than 8,000 refugees and immigrants. Each year an average of 200 new refugees come to Columbia, MO. Many of them do not speak English and arrive with only a few pieces of clothing and little money.
We at City of Refuge want to help refugees and immigrants as they navigate their new life here in Columbia.
Who We Are
Board of Directors
1. Jen Wheeler, Board President
2. Keith Anderson, Vice President and owner of Columbia Flooring & More
3. Matt Ford of Weichert Realty, Handy Matt LLC and Property Protectors LLC
4. Landon Cummins, QuesTec
5. Nathan Jones, Nathan Jones Law
6. Marla Welker, Bank of Missouri
7. Chris Sanders, Providence Bank
8. Miha Britt, Britt Immigration Law
9. Elias Abadi, CoMo Premium Exteriors
10. Angelique Hunter, Photography by Angelique
11. Max Prokell, Venta Marketing
Honorary Board Members
Esther King helped start Safi Sana and was one of its first employees. She is studying law at Northwestern but still takes the time to help us.
And these are just a few of us. We are friends who love the refugees and immigrants in town and want to help them become thriving members of our city. If you are interested in becoming a Board Member or would like more information on getting involved, fill out our Contact Us form here